June 21, 2006
1. The regular meeting of the Albany-Saratoga Base was called to order
by CDR. Cook at 2100 with 21 members and 1 guest present.
2. The muster list was passed around for those in attendance to sign.
3. CDR. Cook introduced our new Base Chaplin, Janet Irwin, who
offered the opening prayer.
4. Instead of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, CDR. Cook played from
many year's ago, Red Skelton's version of the Pledge. What Red described
about our flag then, it seems to me it holds a lot more importance now than
ever before. The recital was a very moving time for all of us.
Thanks John for the thought of doing this.
5. The Tolling of the boats was sounded for the boats and the crew lost
during the month of June.
6. All WWII sub veterans were asked to stand and be recognized.
7. Base secretary reported that there was a quorum present.
8. Treasurer's report was given by Fred Carlson, accepted by Bob Ondek
and seconded by Jim Irwin.
9. Old Business
- Jim Irwin was praised by CRD. Cook on the second issue of the Sub Vets
Scuttlebutt. Well done again Jim.
- There was a good turnout for the Flag Day and Memorial Day parades but a
slow one for the Wilton parade. A reminder for the Schylerville August
6 parade at 1300.
- CDR. Cook mentioned that our USSVI meeting was posted in another local
newspaper and is seeking assistance into getting meeting notices in more
local papers. It can't hurt, it could only help us reach the ex-submariners
who don';t know that the local base exists.
- Bob Ondek, Chairman of the NYS Sub Vets Memorial Foundation, gave us an
update on the proceedings. Bob informed us as of now, we are at a
stand still until someone up the ladder in the NYS Education Department
gives us an answer on our application.
- CDR. Cook reminded us that the ship's library is open 1/2 hour before the
10. New Business
- Fred Carlson asked all the Holland Club members for donations to help with
the breakfast and new inductees for the National Convention. This is
the only place for the Holland Club national members to meet every year.
- District CRD. Jim Irwin had the pleasure of introducing our newest member
into the Holland Club. Congratulations Charles Cleveland on going the
7 Holland Club members present. Fifty years is a long time to be
associated with submarines.
- District 5 CDR., Al Singleman, reminded members that there is NO
electronic voting this year. All ballots will be in the next American
11. Submariners creed was read by all and the meeting was adjourned at
20:30. The next meeting will be July 19, 2006 at the American Legion in
Saratoga Springs, New York.
Submitted by Secretary- Bill Preece
Albany- Saratoga Base
Pride Runs Deep
Welcome our 2 newest members who joined on May 22, 2006:
A. Parou- MM2 (SS)
A. Currier- EN3 (SS)
Our thoughts go out to the family of WWII Sub Vet Ralph Folger, who passed
away June 25, 2006.
"Sailor Rest Your Oar"
to Minutes Page
to Home Page